Tuesday, December 20, 2011

We Know the Real Santa. Who's Documenting This?

A few weeks ago, I wrote about Celiac Santa. We discovered him when my daughter was very young and he's been the "real" Santa ever since.

Earlier this week, I learned that a friend has a different "real" Santa. He is one town over. Like our Santa, this one sets up a little building at the end of a well lit cul-de-sac. Kids drive from all over to see the lights and to see Santa and Mrs. Claus.

I've always thought that our Santa was extra special, sitting out every evening in December, waiting for people to visit him with no ulterior motive whatsoever. It turns out that there may be a whole community of Santas sitting at the end of cul-de-sacs! Has anyone ever done a documentation project to record their thoughtful actions? I don't remember Santas at the end of cul-de-sacs when I was growing up. Are these Santas even a sign of the times in some way or are they geographically noteworthy? (I didn't grow up around here.)

These Santas are certainly symbols of our community. I'm sure that my daughter will remember Celiac Santa forever, as will many little kids in our neighborhood, but will he be immortalized in a memory institution somewhere or will the memories of his time with us fade in a few generations?   Who's documenting this?

No comments:

Post a Comment