Monday, November 11, 2013

Veterans Day

Today I give thanks to all those who fought and served for my country. I specifically reflect on the Veterans in my family.

My Grandpa served in the U.S. Army as a foreign civilian after World War II. I am proud of the mental strength he exhibited after the horrific experiences he endured with my grandmother coming through that war. To all who serve our country, Americans and non-Americans, thank you for your work. I would not be here today if it weren't for our Veterans.

I am also personally tied to two strong men who stormed Normandy. I am thankful to my Great Uncles Sid, Joe, and Sol and the stories they shared with me when I was very young.

The stories are a bit twisted in my head. I can't remember for sure if Sid or Sol served, but it was Uncle Sid who sat and told me about his childhood more than any of my grandmother's other brothers. While as a child I appreciated and was wowed by the tales he told, I wish I had truly understood their importance. I wish that I had recorded his voice or taken notes when he spoke to me. Instead, I am left with the flawed memories of my 40 something year old brain.

Give thanks today by honoring and documenting your veterans.

No comments:

Post a Comment