Friday, February 4, 2011

More Finds at the Local Antique Shop - Love is Blind


I've done way too much editing this morning and I feel like my brain is going to explode...so in making the slow transition to moving my body and fitting in some kickboxing this morning, I'd like to share some more from my "antique" collection with you.

Valentine's Day is not among my favorite holidays. In fact, I find the whole thing a bit silly for adults. (Feel free to bash me on that if you are a Valentine's Day lover.) However, I think that there are few things in life as wonderful as Valentine's Day cards and ephemeral items that emote romance. (And honey, if you are reading this, despite my verbalized misgivings about the holiday I do still want flowers and chocolates. Just so we are clear.)

Humans have a wonderful way of displaying affection through the documentation we create. We like our thoughts of love to be cute and airy-fairy like, but on the other-hand we do regard the whole ritual of romance to be somewhat funny. In this postcard, we know just what the lovers feel, but we can also laugh at them with their audience.

So happy February everyone! I have more Valentine's surprises on the way. But for the best Valentine collection I know see Historic New England's ephemera collection. They just have a digitized sample online, but while interning there for a short time in the 1990s I was fortunate enough to see the real collection.

No comments:

Post a Comment